Informationen zur Anzeige:
Doctoral Researcher (Ph.D. candidate) - data-driven business models for digital platforms at the Chair of Business Information Systems
03.08.2022, Universität Passau
The Chair of Business Information Systems (Professor Thomas Widjaja) and the DFG Research Training Group 2720 Digital Platform Ecosystems (DPE) are seeking a
Doctoral Researcher (Ph.D. candidate) –
This is a full-time position based on a fixed-term contract for a period of three years, with the option of renewal. Remuneration is in accordance with pay grade E13 of the German public-sector collective agreement, TV-L.
data-driven business models for digital platforms
We are engaged in theory-led and methodologically sound research that has strong practical relevance, with the aim of producing internationally visible research results. Our findings are published in leading academic and application-oriented journals and conference proceedings. The chair’s three main research areas are IT architecture management, digital services and data-driven business models.
In the area of data-driven business models, we examine how such business models are designed from the perspective of users and providers. From a user perspective, for instance, we look at how consumers react to digital platforms monetising and trading users' personal data (such as when data is shared with advertisers). From the providers’ perspective, it is important to strike a balance between generating additional revenue from the (increased) use of this data and managing the potentially deterrent effect such monetisation strategies can have on users. The aim of this research areas is to develop profitable yet privacy-friendly data-driven business models in the context of digital platforms.
Duties and responsibilities
- You will carry out our own challenging and practically relevant research projects on the design of data-driven business models of digital platforms within the framework of the DFG-funded interdisciplinary Research Training Group 2720 Digital Platform Ecosystems (in research Area A, "Data exchange in platform ecosystems"). For details on the project visit https://dpe.uni-passau.de/en.
- You will present your findings at national and international scientific conferences.
- Applicants should have a master’s degree with very good grades in a degree programme related to our research areas (e.g. information systems, engineering management, business administration, cultural and business studies, computer science, or psychology with a business/economics as a secondary/minor subject).
- Willingness to conduct interdisciplinary research as a member of the DFG-funded Research Training Group "Digital Platform Ecosystems" (https://dpe.uni-passau.de/en).
- Excellent analytical skills and an interest in current economic and technological developments in the field of data-driven business models of digital platforms.
- An interest in empirical research (e.g. surveys, experiments).
- Good written and spoken English proficiency. German language skills would be helpful for everyday life in Germany but are not a requirement.
- We are looking for a team player who is open-minded, intellectually adaptable, able to work conscientiously and independently and is committed to the pursuit of knowledge.
What we offer
The University of Passau wishes to increase the proportion of its female staff and expressly encourages women to apply for the position. Job-sharing arrangements may be possible, depending on the number of suitable candidates. This position is suitable for candidates with disabilities. Those who are registered disabled are given preference over non-disabled applicants who do not otherwise have statutory preferential status if their overall personal aptitudes, skills and qualifications are equal.
- Varied activities in a motivated and research-oriented team.
- The opportunity to engage in doctoral study with personal and structured supervision.
- Membership in the interdisciplinary Research Training Group 2720 Digital Platform Ecosystems (see https://dpe.uni-passau.de/en) funded by the German Research Foundation (DFG).
- Very good research infrastructure, flexible working hours and one of the most beautiful university campuses in Germany.
- A tailored and structured doctoral programme at the graduate school DPE; a fully funded research visit abroad, external course programme (summer schools, workshops); co-supervision by international scholars and much more.
- Numerous contacts to regional and national practice partners.
Please contact Professor Thomas Widjaja (email@example.com) if you have any further questions about the position. To find out more about the chair, visit www.bis.uni-passau.de/en.
The University of Passau owes its strong visibility and good repute to excellent research, innovative teaching and its tight-knit international academic networks. Some 12,000 students from 100 countries and more than 1,300 staff study and work on our university campus, which is located a stone’s throw from the historical Old Town of Passau and combines state-of-the-art technical infrastructure with award-winning architecture. Internationally successful high-tech companies and a vibrant start-up scene, coupled with a rich culture and Lower Bavarian traditions, give Passau and the surrounding area a special appeal that makes it a great place to live and work.
So bewerben Sie sich
To apply, please send your full application (including letter of motivation and school, training and work certificates; the letter of motivation should state the desired research area “Data exchange in platform ecosystems” and the name of the desired supervisor) as a single pdf file to firstname.lastname@example.org. Details on the application process can be found at www.dpe.uni-passau.de/en/application. You can apply at any time, as we will be accepting applications until the position is filled. We will start reviewing received applications on 31 July 2022.
E-mailed applications are kept on file for up to six months after the conclusion of the appointment procedure, whereupon they are deleted from our systems.
Please visit www.uni-passau.de/en/university/current-vacancies for our data privacy statement.